Engineered wood, also known as composite wood or manufactured boards, includes a range of derivative wood products which are manufactured by binding or fixing the strands, particles, fibers or veneers of wood to form composite materials. These products are engineered to precise design specifications which are tested to meet national or international standards. Engineered wood products are used in a variety of applications, from home construction to commercial buildings to industrial products.
For a large international producer of wood-based panels, Vision++ designed and developed a 3D Log Scanner, which measures incoming wooden logs on an OSB board production line. The task of the 3D scanner is to measure the dimensions of the logs (length, volume and cross-sections), reject logs which fall outside specified dimensional tolerances, and build running production statistics for the plant management team. The image processing task was particularly challenging, as the logs are fed in on a conveyor belt and can appear jumbled and disarranged under the 3D scanner. Also the system build was demanding because the 3D scanner has to run 24/7 in harsh outdoor conditions.
3D Log Scanner’s features in a nutshell:
- Vision technology: 3D time-of-flight laser scanning.
- Produces mm-precise dimensional measurements of non-singulated wooden logs on a conveyor belt.
- Employs custom developed SW routines for real-time inline segmentation and object analysis.
- Reduces production down times and safeguards operators from dangerous interventions when out-of-spec logs jam in the flaker infeed.
- Runs 24/7 in harsh outdoor conditions.
- Generates running production statistics for the plant management team.